Blogs I like...

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2015

SEX: A Sunday blog

     The writer’s bag of goodies: grammatical foundation, originality, character development, healthy protagonist/antagonist balance, plot advancement, plot device, narrative, dialogue, plausibility, sex.
      
    Sex.

    I recently acquired a used book from a going-out-of-business mom and pop shop for a $1, titled Best American Short Stories – 1998. It caught my eye because first, the author selection was diverse and two, it was edited by Garrison Keillor. The short story has been an evasive critter for me ever since I took a creative writing course in college. They’re one of those things I can’t explain, other than to say I either enjoyed reading it or did not and why I did or why I didn’t enjoy reading it. In writing short stories, however, I am not alone when I conclude they can be a greater challenge than novel-writing since the author is attempting to compress as much in a few pages as others do for hundreds. Many instructors and writers I’ve heard reiterate this point. So the reason I bring this up and cite this particular book is one reason…why does every damn story have to have some ubiquitous reference to sex? I’m six stories in the twenty story compilation and all of them (except for one, which still had an adultery reference) have contained sexual intercourse as a theme.
          
     Sex is common in modern and ancient literature, transcending cultures with some exceptions. It’s mentioned in mythology, the Kama Sutra, the Bible, Native American folklore, medieval literature, and almost every genre put out in the last three centuries. Even during times of censorship, wily authors found a way to use metaphor when referring to the exchange of bodily fluids. This makes sense because, like violence or death, sex is as integrated into the human experience as food. We do it for both pleasure and survival. My question is, though, in something like a short story, is it not plausible to simply make a point without requiring intercourse between two bodies being mentioned? Are there not enough tangents on the slope of creative output to write a story without it? Can an erotic author write a short story about a bank robbery without sex?
          
     The answer to all three is an emphatic ‘yes.’
     
     I don’t care about sex being in the story. Within context, sex away. I DO care about it being in every one of them. Sure, I like a good bump scene as good as any hot-blooded, mid-thirties male who has to ask his wife on a daily basis if he’s still attractive to her. But I’m not reading literotica or ‘Where the Britches End.’ I’m reading literary fiction.
          
     Perhaps my random book choice was a poor example. Besides, I’m not even halfway through. Regardless, the first story involved three girls talking about sex; the second contained a girl getting molested by her father; the third involved extramarital affairs; the fourth lacked it as a theme, but still did not abstain from childhood hormones or wandering adult eyes; the fifth involved an elderly Indian man banging a slutty neighbor; the sixth involved a depressed lesbian who even banged her friend for comfort. Again, perhaps my book was a bad example, perhaps it was something else.
          
     It was published in 1998, after all, and contained selections from U.S. and Canadian publications. Maybe the context of the year means everything. The Clinton-Lewinsky affair was bursting the news apart, so sex was everywhere. The sitcom Friends (which I like) was glamorizing the use of hormonal surge into millions of American homes by way of six beautiful people who seemed to never suffer the consequences. Jerry Springer, albeit a poor example, was a preview of the raucous interest in society’s bottom dwellers which would come to dominate half of shock-TV in basic cable outlets which devolves to the present day. Does the year matter? Yes, no, maybe…I don’t think I give much of a shit.
          
     Another point I’m loathe to consider: the guest editor himself. I love Garrison Keillor. Ever since I discovered the brain tingles his voice triggered inside of me when listening to his Sunday afternoon rebroadcasts of Prairie Home Companion, I’ve been a fan, fifteen years and counting. I love the sketches and music: Guy Noire, Lives of the Cowboys, Rhubarb Pie, Coffee, News from Lake Wobegan…the man’s preservation of Midwest humor and penchant for giving homage to his Lutheran-Norwegian culture makes him a folk hero. But I’ve also read his books and the differences between his family-theme broadcasts cannot go unmentioned. He really seems to have an appreciation for sexuality in his books, especially the action between older folks. This is understandable, considering he’s in his seventies and is still married with children. He has that right. So as the editor of the particular compilation in question, does Mr. Keillor simply prefer this medium? Did he even select them? I don’t know and if I ever get to meet him, I’ll never pose the question. As I said, the man’s a genius.
          The subject of sex in literature dwarfs any attempt to blog, being more fit for the nonfiction shelves and reference sections for any real attempt to probe. I’ve little trust for cultural historians these days, too, as many can’t refrain from turning the subject at hand into their own tasteless critique of Judeo-Christian culture’s attempt to repress every mention of the word penis or vagina. Who the hell is trying to oppress you? Where is it illegal to buy literature about sex these days? It’s available to ten-year olds over the internet now! To those writers, get the hell over your own insecurities and write about the subject at hand and don’t worry about Judeo-Christian boogeyman’s opinion anymore. We live in a secularist nation. The wind is at your back. The right faces more censorship than the left does now. And surprise...conservative bigots and rednecks and Bible-thumpers and gun-lovers have sex, too. And surprise…they enjoy it.
          
     Since I tire already, I’ll conclude with this: I enjoy a diversity of the human experience in the literature I both read and write. I write about sex, too. My unpublished manuscripts contain difficult subject matter, and sex is not neglected (the balance between gratuitousness and context is for another day). I realize, should I desire a squeaky clean book then to check out books in the squeaky clean section. I don’t want the squeaky-clean section. I like books with honesty and truth, free from whitewash and free from censorship. I only wonder if I’ve been under a rock for so long, as I’ve devoted myself to the classics for several years in attempts to note the common appeal which made them classic, that I missed that evolution in literature. But in the genre of short story, with respect to the editors who select them, is there an industry-set ratio of sex-in-the-story in which I need to be aware?

          
     Please tell me, because there’s a heaping crap-ton of virgins in my manuscripts who are in for a rude awakening.

No comments: